A Mentor Coach can be very helpful to the development of a player. A Mentor Coach can help a player in the following areas:
- Evaluation of the player’s hockey skills and tactical knowledge and skills,
- Development of a Plan that if followed will guarantee results,
- Review of Game Video: Hockey Skills, Tactical Knowledge and Skills Play,
- Performance Coaching: Character, Values, Mental Game, Team Game, Coach-ability.
- Right practice and approach to practice.
A Mentor Coach never teaches or coaches hockey systems. A Mentor Coach never contradicts the teaching and coaching of the player’s Head Coach. A good Mentor Coach is generally appreciated by a Head Coach because of the additional one on one attention in the player’s development that should make a positive difference in the athlete’s performance.
At TLPF we recommend that every serious competitive player seek out a Mentor Coach to help them in their development process. One on one coaching with an athlete can make a big difference in the development of a player. What is important is choosing the right Mentor Coach for the player.